Saturday, March 10, 2012

Self Sacrifice Part 1

Katie has been sick.
Real sick.
It's not related to the pregnancy, but her pregnancy has had a big impact on her sickness. She has the flu and and a respiratory infection, neither of which are fun, and together has been rough.
Well because of her pregnancy she can't take any strong meds, particularly for the flu part of her sickness. So she is told to take REGULAR strength tylenol and wait it out.

So this has made me think.
There is very powerful medication that would make her feel better in a very short amount of time, but she can't.
I told her yesterday, every time you begin to think about flu meds or your stupid sugar pills (what she is calling tylenol) think about the child growing inside of you. Does it make her feel better? No. Does it resize her sickness, a little. Does this point to a deeper problem we all have? Yes.
(Now let me say, when your wife is pregnant and VERY sick, that is not the time to devotionalize!!)

We all want quick fixes. We all want what works for US. We seek our own safety and desires first and not those around us. I think of myself first and how it affects others second. As I watch Katie having to deny herself meds for the sake of a child, its pointed out in ME how much I don't willfully deny myself for the sake of others. Self sacrifice is difficult. It normally must be forced on us to make us see how selfish we are.
I'm praying the Spirit within would grow and continue to show me the things I need to deny so that it can thrive.

No comments: