Saturday, March 17, 2012

In step

A few things: Katie and I both went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for the initial doctors visit and saw the first ultrasound of the little baby. At first glance the baby was measuring "big", imagine that for one of our kids! Yesterday Katie went back for another visit and was able to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Incredible. I don't care how many kids you have, a beating heart is amazing. New life. A gift from God. Everyone of them.


Today I mowed our yard and Davis asked if he could go with me. I wasn't in a big hurry and knew I was leaving tomorrow for a week and some good father/son time would be fun. Plus, it was a beautiful day.
At first he had his little lawnmower and was a few steps behind me, but the thickness of the yard (I wish i could say this is my green thumb, come mid july it won't be thick at all) made it difficult to push. So he ditched the mower and asked if he could just walk with me.
My initial thought was, "This will last about 2 laps." But he lasted, the whole yard. Every strip. Every turn. Sometimes he would run ahead of the mower and shoot it with his webs (spiderman phase) and other times he would be behind just looking and talking to himself. But the whole yard he stayed with me.

I hope its not too much of a stretch to ask, Whens the last time i just walked with my Heavenly Father? No agenda. Not trying to get something, not trying to convince Him to give me something or change a circumstance. Just following in step. Just delighting to be around Him.
Delight is a word i've thought about alot this year. It started with Psalm 1 and how David "delighted in the law of the Lord". In my world its easy to do the Christian thing, go through the motions, etc.. But is there delight?

Will Davis ever walk the whole yard with me again? I don't know, I hope so.
Will I walk in step with my Heavenly Father? By His grace, I hope so.



*The picture is what Davis did when I asked him how much he helped in the yard today.

No comments: