Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers day is mothers day*

Happy Fathers day!
What a blessing to be gifted children.
I feel like everyone says it, so I almost have to.... I have the greatest kids in the world. Seriously, as Davis continues to grow and learn I am amazed at his mind, wit and the kid is just plain funny.
Annie is cuter than humanly fair, she has a spunk that makes me mad and makes me love her all the more.
Incredibly blessed.
But on Fathers day I actually find myself thinking about Katie.

Anyone can make their kids like them at this age. (not taking away from the incredible task of being a parent to kids this age, it's very trying and difficult). But the truth is if I throw Davis up in the air a few times, tickle him and offer him a sucker, I'm an allstar dad in his eyes. If I give Annie her duck, blow on her belly and get her milk she thinks I hung the moon.

But what about Katie?
Does she think I'm a good father?
Do I serve her?
Does she know I choose her over our kids? Does she feel like I lead our family or just seek my own gain in our family?
Katie really knows me, the kids don't know me the way she does.
She knows when I'm serving/helping out of selfish ambition and when I'm truly loving her and the kids.
She knows when I choose to sit on the couch instead of being with them.
I might fool the kids for a year or two, but there is no fooling her.
Long after our kids have moved out of the house Katie and I will still be together.
I hope on fathers day the one I made a covenant with, my wife, is thankful I am the father f her children.
On fathers day there are two things I should really do if I want my kids to really know I love them like crazy:
1. Love Christ above all
2. Show them how much I love their mom and my wife.

Serving, not to get an award, but because He first served me.

What an honor.

Happy Fathers Day.

*(all material stolen from the life of my dad)

No comments: