Tuesday, July 22, 2008

bouncy seat theology

Davis has started this new thing and it is rocking my world- if Davis hasn't seen you in a while (take for example when I got home from work today) and you walk into the room, if he is in his bouncy seat or exer-saucer, he absolutely throws himself around, jumps around and laughs.

Amazingly it's like he actually delights to see someone he loves?!

At what point do we lose this?
At what point do we become hardened or ashamed or embarassed that we are REALLY excited someone walked in the door?
Why do we feel the need to "cool" and not "too" excited. Isn't it really a fear that we might be more excited to see them than they are to see us? Davis doesn't have that fear- all he knows is there's mom or there's dad, and I am really excited.
Isn't that what we really want, relationships that matter, relationships where we can be authentic.

Davis has got that down.

Can you imagine living your entire life feeling that accepted?
That unabandonded?
I'm not sure which is a better picture - God being Davis or me. I can see both sides. God just going absolutely crazy when I return to Him. Bouncing up and down, celebrating the return of the prodigal, rejoicing in His own grace that calls us, unafraid because He IS acceptance.

But I also can quickly see myself being the child who has lost the joy, the child who is too into tv to notice "the father" is around, too afraid that "abba" might not notice me, so I act like i don't care whether he notices or not- but deep down I want nothing more than to be noticed by Him.
Perhaps it's why Jesus said have faith like a child.

I hope you'll bounce up and down at the thought of the Father's love today.


No comments: